Sunday, October 28, 2007

Walrus

The sun finally arose at about 9:30am and I found the Walrus. Actually I lucked out one of the Dad’s from school was taking his 1st grader down to see it and so he gave me a ride on the four wheeler. They had covered it last night thus MJ couldn’t see it when she went looking. As you can see they gutted it and removed the fins last night. After I got back Alicia was at my door looking for me to see if I wanted to go check it out so back we went. Again another kind parent gave us a ride on the four wheeler. By time we got back down to the beach they had started butchering it. As you can see they are removing the fat which they will use for oil. You can also see from the photos that they basically remove the innards all as one. And finally notice the kids just hanging out. I will/have uploaded more photo’s to my flickr account. Well back to my lazy Sunday afternoon. I keep thinking maybe I’ll head to school and do some work but naaa, maybe I’ll just read and watch a movie or take a nap.

6 comments:

twotiredoc said...

Disgusting and fascinating all at the same time. What's with the "Kong" ball in his gut in the first photo? Is that used to keep the shape or what? I'm just throwing a random guess out there! lol Hmm I'll go back to disgusting and fascinating! I'm quite sure I would have been out there taking photos as well! Good job!! (=

twotiredoc said...

P.S. Are you going to eat any of that?? Walrus tacos? Walrus prime rib? Sushi!!?? Fin burgers? Just curious!? lol

Megan said...

When I force myself to eat Tuna from a can I ussually use more mayo then Tuna so as you can see I am not a fish eater and the idea of Walrus Tacos just doesn't do it for me so I'll be passing on the Walrus meat. Even the wiskers smell fishy.

The Kong Ball is actually a bouy or channel marker that they just used to hold the plastic down.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jennifer, disgusting and fascinating at the same time.

And YES, I could see her out there taking a whole roll of pictures. Hahhaaa!!!

Glad you are enjoying the interesting, uh sights!!

Anonymous said...

I just caught up on your blog. Livin' the Vida Loca, you are. The riveting view of an inside out walrus completely took me by surprise. I'm looking at this mound of flesh thinking "which end is which?" The butchers obviously knew and were doing a fine job slicing and dicing.

And then I clicked on the picture to zoom in on innards. I'm almost sorry I did.

Anonymous said...

Oh MY! And I thought deer hunting season was bad here in Michigan. I think you've out done us! I feel like I am seeing photos from a PBS/Discovery channel special.