Sunday, October 28, 2007

Fun Filled Day

Well it was a busy day here in Kongiganak. First we had the Halloween Carnival at the school and some how I ended up helping with the Haunted Hallway. A new experience for me. It was totally student run - so not very organized. Ruthie you would have killed someone for sure. They key thing is the kids did have fun and for the most part were pretty good about cleaning up. We also had games in the gym and concessions - over all I would have to say it was a success.















Saturday evening "Ladies Night" followed. We all agreed that after the Carnival we could all use a nice relaxing drink. Diet Coke and Ice Tea would have to do. It was a two Can Diet Coke night for me - I also made pizza and an apple bake with fresh Michigan Apples thanks to Aunt Marlyn (everyone loves the apples). Kendra made brownies with extra Chocolate Chunks and Almound (very yummy) and of course we had left over chips and cheese from the carnival. Good thing we started the night early - 3:30 instead of 7pm - with all the food. Kendra introduced us to a new game called PIT. It is faced paced and exciting. I loved - well I won so of course I thought it was a great game.

After Kendra and Alecia left MJ and I decided to watch a movie and about half way through there was a knock on my door. It was Daryl our Site Administrator. He came to tell us that Lewis Beaver one of our teachers had gotten a Walrus and the village was planning on butchering it in the morning. So the three of us set of to see if you could find it and take some pictures before hand. Of course it was dark and foggy. And as you can see there are no pictures at this time so we didn't find it. So I am waiting for the sun to come up - about 9:30am - and I'll head back down to the beach to see if I can find were they landed it.

Okay that's it for now hopefully I'll add more later today.

4 comments:

twotiredoc said...

What does it mean, he had "gotten" a walrus? Do they hunt them there? They seem to big and well.. you know... slow. Wow! A whole new world! They are allowed to do that legally, right? Otherwise it would be poaching or no? I never get interesting news like that from people who knock on my door!

twotiredoc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

Yes it is leagal and they do hunt them. Well since I realy don't have a phone and it is actually easier to walk to someones house then to track down a phone number. Actually alot of people have VHF Radio's and that's how they communcate but since I don't speak Yupik I wouldn't understand anything anyways.

Anonymous said...

Are you ever going to try to learn Yupik?? Maybe teach us all a few 'naughty' words?! Hahhaaa!!