Monday, September 3, 2007

Another Adventure

Guess what I did! Here are a couple of hints – I wore long johns jeans and rain paint, two pair of warm socks and rubber boots, I had a Under-armor shirt, t-shirt, long-john shirt, a down jacket and a rain jacket, plus a ski hat on and I still was cold at times – I have a great case of wind burn on my face and I have been home for 16 hours – which I slept 12 of due to lack of sleep. We left on this adventure at 5pm on Saturday and returned at about 5-6pm Sunday. I spent those 24 fours in a vehicle that was about 25feet long by 6 or 7feet wide.

Did you figure it out yet – well if you looked at the pictures you probably did – We went fishing – Yupik style. MaryJane and I went with another teacher Sherman, his wife Loraine and Sherman’s brother Leroy fishing. It was great (I can now say that after having a hot shower and 12 hours of sleep). Unfortunately we only caught 12 fish total.





It would take forever to explain everything so I will try and give you some of the major high lights – Sherman, Lorain and Leroy both commercial fish all summer and are from Kongiganak. We had two boats for the five of use. We used nets to fish with and they can actually do it by themselves. The moth of the river is huge – you can not see across, I am not sure but I don’t think we ever truly left the river. And it is so muddy that they actually use the word mudds – you fish between the mudds. They have to keep a constant eye out for sand bars – in the middle of know where there can be a huge sand bar about 1.5-2feet deep not good on the props. We where trying to get to a river the first evening but couldn’t find the canal in and probably spent two hours using poles to push ourselves through the sand bars.

Sleeping quarters – Well MaryJane and I had deluxe accommodations Leroy setup his canvas walled tent for us and we slept on the floor of the boat at least our feet where pointed towards the fish. Leroy has his “pilot” house rigged so that he can sleep in there, Sherman and his wife just use a tarp on their boat. Bathroom – again Leroy was the gracious host and let us use the “pilot” house for “privacy” we used a five gallon bucket. The bucket was also my seat on the boat – after it was dumped, rinsed and turned over.

We saw a seal – Leroy tried to shoot it – yes it is legal for him to kill it because they will eat it. Seals do not keep their heads above water for very long.

At times the water was very calm and at others we had some waves – It was cold the whole time. It was a great experience and I might even do it again.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There ya go...now that's an adventure!!! I would say that beats me backpacking to meet up with Pam and sleeping under a tarp.

Did you guys ever catch anything?? Or were you just having fun out in the water??

twotiredoc said...

Wow! Now *that's* Alaska! You look SO cold!! Good for you! Did y'all eat the fish you caught right there or were they to bring back? Cooking facilities? Your seat was convenient eh? lol Wow! What an adventure! Did you get to use your "flasklight" again? (-;

Megan said...

We did catch 12 salmon and 4 other things (ugly) This was serious fishing stuff - this is what they eat - Thank god for mail order food. I did not eat any fish Maryjane did can it and is drying some of it also - she gave me three pints that she canned - if you come visit you can try it - because I sure won't be eating it. I don't eat fish.