Friday, September 14, 2007

It's the weekend

It is Friday night and what I am I doing sitting home alone with a smelly dog watching Charlie’s Angels and it is a great night. It is the weekend and that means two days with out kids in the classroom. Hoping to get more things organized and set for my classes. Life is still good here in Alaska - The temperature has defiantly started to drop. Almost sweater in the classroom weather - I have been wearing a sweater vest over my shirt and have even worn a turtleneck a few times.

The smelly dog is MaryJane's (my fellow teacher that went on the Fishing Adventure with me). The smelly dogs name is Justice and she is hanging with me because MJ headed to Bethel with 4 students for the final cross-country meet - Yes it is the end of the season. The word I have heard is that it could snow in September but usually it holds off until October. Justice is a Golden Retriever that loves the water/mud which we have in excess of and with limited running water she has a slight odor. But you have to lover her - she is a Happy Golden Retriever.

Today was pay-day - Yeah - That means I am putting together my monthly dry-goods grocery order. I think we (me and a couple of other teachers will be placing bi-weekly orders into Bethel for fresh produce and dairy). We did that last week and it worked pretty good. I also ordered a new sleeping bag - rated for -40 degrees for my next adventure - Although this weekend should be pretty quite I do hope to go pick some cranberries to my a cranberry relish.

Today was a somewhat of an exciting day - I had a student "slap" or "tap" my face so I took her right down to the office and she was suspended for 5 days. She is in my 7/8 grade class. Another one of my 7/8grade students will be in Anchorage for two days having has tonsils removed. Due to the lack of medical facilities iin the villages this is typical for kids and a parent to stay in a "Ronald McDonald house incase something comes up until they are healed. So it may be a little easier in a couple of my classes. We will see. I will say that I really like our site administrator. He and I are on the same wave of not putting up with much from the students. He really supports the fact that I have high standards for the students and won’t lower them - I currently have 2 out of 14 students passing Social Studies simply because they don't do the work - They haven't had a test or quiz yet. I also have 8-10 HS students failing History for exactly the same reason.

Well that's about it for now - Life continues on here in Alaska - I love all of the comments keep them coming - you can also make comments on the photos on Flickr

2 comments:

twotiredoc said...

Sounds like you need to watch a little bit of Dangerous Minds and pull a Michelle Pfeifer on their little asses! (= Keep up the good work! I told Pam that the college where I work should put together a mini Posse program for your kids... keeping kids from the same community together who are generally unlikely to succeed in college for reasons other than academic. However, they need to pass social studies first! (= Glad you're still enjoying your time there! I'm looking forward to seeing the "wish list!" (=

Anonymous said...

Sooo....who's your favorite angel??