Sunday, August 12, 2007

I made it!

I survived two days of new teacher orintation, and one day of Culture Class. Our Culturel Class is a year long class that is required by the state and we get three graduate level credits for it and the school pays for it. So that was Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Check out some photo's of Bethel on my Flickr account. (http://www.flickr.com/ search for megan haglund do a second search under people for megan heaglund).


Friday evening I flew to Kongiganak with two other new teachers and our site adminstrator. (A picture of me waiting for a ride to the Bethel Airport) Because we had so many people and so much stuff that they gave us on of the larger planes (it sat eight people).





Andrew and his wife lived in the house I have last year and they had to move to their "new house" Friday evening and Saturday - Andrew had the bedroom cleaned out Friday night so I was able to sleep there and then finished the rest of the house Saturday so last night I cleaned and moved in. Most of my boxes made it, well 8 out of 12 boxes that I had mailed made it. Hopefully the rest will make it soon, the coffee pot did not make. I guess I should have carried that with me along with my Beaners coffee. At least the school has coffee so I am suriving fine. I will try and upload some photo's of my house to flickr tommorrow.


Photo from the plane as we flew from Bethel to Kongiganak.

Saturday we walked around the village - I know I will get photos up soon. My house is about 100 yards from the front door of the school. I do not have running water - I have a bathtube but it has two fifty-gallon barrels in it - this is my water supply. Supposedly the water is safe to drink but it does sit in the barrells for at least a week or more so I boil and/or filter it. Shower is here at the school - the school has running water.


Well, I want to work on some stuff for school since I spent the day finishing and PASSING Ruthies math class.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uhhh...can you say, "I don't think so"?? That is an itsy bitsy plane. How did it feel?? Did you get queasy??

As for the coffee pot, I'm so very sorry. That should have been the first thing that was shipped...and the first to arrive. I would have had a big stash waiting there for the last couple months. Hahhahahaaaa!!! But you are right, at least the school has some and you can get at least a little fix. Let me know if you need more (of the real stuff), I'll send some your way.

Love reading and seeing what you have on here. Don't stop darling....or I'll have to get nasty and send you know what your way. I'm sure Sheila could help me find something good!!

~me

Megan said...

I promise I won't stop the Blogs I don't want what you will send my way - Knees are kringing.

The plan ride was cool - I can't wait to go in one of the littler planes.

You know if we had some good people working for the post office my stuff just might have arrived by NOW - What do those post people do all day anyways - Play on the internet and drink coffee. How hard is it to deliver a couple of boxes. HA HA

Anonymous said...

Oh...you are very friggin funny. But you are also right....all we do is play on the computer and drink coffee. Or is that the other way around??