Saturday, August 30, 2008

What I Did On My Summer Vacation!

What didn’t I do is a better question. As most of you are aware I spent my first week of vacation here in the village trying to get my classroom organized, spent a little time on our book shed and the math stuff. Then I spent a couple of days in Anchorage with Alecia and her friend Patty. We had a great time, went down to Seward, went to the Anchorage Zoo, not the biggest or the best zoo ever but the bears were very entertaining.



Then Lacy and I spent a week at the University in Anchorage in a History class. Yep her in Alaska it’s cool for your dog to go to class and sleep under your desk. And yes everyone spoiled Lacy, petting her and telling her how good she is. Know one there new about Lacys love of destroying stuffed animals and making what we call bunny guts.

Next stop Michigan. Of course we left Anchorage a beautiful 65 degree’s and hit the Midwest at 90 degrees a shock to my system and Lacy’s. First stop Bev’s house to steal some shorts. Second stop The Dog Beach in Muskegon. Lacy and I spent quite a few days at the dog beach. Mornings are Lacy’s favorite times, before everyone and their dog gets there.

Then about July 3rd Lacy, Pam and I headed out to the east coast for vacation. We went out through Canada along the St. Lawrence Seaway. Stopped a couple of times to do the tourist thing, went to an old fort, stopped at a lock trying to catch a boat going through etc. Then we headed towards Maine and white water rafting with Alecia. That was AWESOME. Next day, Pam, Alecia, and I headed to the coast of Maine and went sea kayaking with Patty and then to a real Lobster Feast thing. Every Cool!!! Next day had to stop LL Bean Outlet, but didn’t stay to long. To hot in the car for Lacy and we were headed for Niagara Falls.

Niagara Falls was great. We hit it on Pam’s Birthday so of course I treated her to a ride on Maid of the Mist. Check-out our lovely pictures, you get just a little bit wet. We did the most of the tourist thing. Did not do the jetboat through the whirlpool or the cable car ride over it, maybe next time. Then back to Canada to see the Erora Gorge that was very cool, a great day just hiking around this small little town. Lacy and I even found a trail to take us down to the river and we hiked up the river a little way. Then back to good old GR for a day.



Lacy and I then headed down to Indiana to see a high school friend of mine that I probably hadn’t seen since high school. Lacy wasn’t so thrilled to be on the road again. She was a little on the grumpy side. It was a great visit for me.

I made it down to Ohio to see Ruthie twice – Awesome new fitness center!!! On my first trip down I took my brand new road bike. I think I had ridden it a whole two or three miles. I decided to ride it around the lake (26 miles) Stupid, Stupid idea. It should have taken me less then two hours it took three. First off I really hadn’t done any serious riding since being back in the lower 48, second the new seat was a piece of metal with leather stretched over it. I bought a new bike seat the minute I got back to GR.

Lets see the what else – as I said earlier spent a number of days at the dog beach played a little golf, not as much as I would have liked but still was able to get a few rounds in with Syma, Dave and Pam. I also went camping in Manistee one weekend with Pam and Lacy. We took our bikes and Pam’s Kayaks that was a great weekend. I spent a couple days visiting with my cousin Ann and her daughters we had a great time building cucumber boats one day and kayaking another.

The close of my summer included a Tubing trip up with my friends Beth and Brock and Brocks family. It was a beautiful day perfect for tubing. What a way to spend my last weekend in Michigan. Lacy and I flew back to Anchorage Thursday, August 7th spent a few days there and then headed to Bethel and then back to the village.

So as you can see it was a busy summer, but full of fun and exciting adventures. My internet is being a little slow to add pictures to my blog so check them all out on my flickr account.

No comments: