Saturday, February 16, 2008

Teacher Almost Dies

Is what the headlines should read if we had a paper here in Kongiganak. I am sorry I don't have pictures or video, so you'll just have to use your imagination. Last night I made the fatal mistake of going out with three of my students on one of their four wheelers and letting them drive. It was after dark when Maggie, Jayleen and Julia came knocking on my door offering to take me for a ride on Maggie's four wheeler. Of course I accepted. Julia took the "front" seat, sitting backwards facing the driver and Jayleen and I sat on the back. I found out later that the front is a better place to sit - your less likely to fall off. I was literary hanging on with my finger tips at times. Maggie's average speed was probably about 25-30 and she went for every bump there was. My butt is very sore today from all the bouncing and so are my biceps from hanging on so tight. At least a dozen times in the 20minutes I was out with them I was seriously concerned about flying of the back of the four wheeler and was hoping not to injure anything seriously (snow is soft when you land right?). Wait until I grade their test today!!!

3 comments:

twotiredoc said...

OMG! I'm almost glad you didn't have photos!! lol The image I have is hilarious! Way to be the "cool teacher!" (=

alisha said...

Sounds like an adventure, even if it did leave you sore. I'm beginning to think life in the village is more interesting than life here in Bethel. I cant wait until all the new teachers come to Bethel for the festival and we can all get together again. I'm so anxious to here everyone's stories. Well, take care...keep hangin' on (esp when riding snow machines).

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha, ha. Oh Megan, you almost sound like someone who has never been out in the country before and I KNOW you didn't spend all your time in the big city of Grand Rapids!!!! Boy, my heat, running water and cozy couch seem pretty great right now. I went skiing today, but it was 49 degrees, not -something!! Have fun, Tara Harvey